General questions page
Use this page for general questions about Living Control and its products. First you must start an account (see top left of this page) and log in. To start a new question or subject, click the '+' tab at the top and type in a title and your question. After that hit the 'Save page' button. Someone will answer it on this page. To respond to any subject just click the 'edit' tab above and type in what you want to say and hit the 'Save page button'.
Please type four tildes (like this ~~~~) after your question to automatically sign and date it.
- 1 Musicbox upgrade to NT compatability & NT Timeouts.
- 2 Can a Living Control Synergy MusicBox (aka iMerge S1000 Soundserver) be used with a RoomBox4?
- 3 Room Box 6, Is it possible to split one of the outputs / zones with a physical switch ?
- 4 Roombox 4 Display pad issue
- 5 Using a MusicBox3 with the iPhone app
- 6 Waterpad
- 7 8-More connections
- 8 Tuner problems
- 9 Reconnect the Event
- 10 Basic set up
- 11 MusicBox title lookup settings
- 12 Expanding a system with two RoomBox 6s.
- 13 RoomBox6 and itunes
- 14 Pads not displaying track info
- 15 Ipad control
- 16 Studio6 audio question
- 17 Studio6 Hard Drives
- 18 How to identify Software Version of RoomBox4
- 19 Download of Latest MusicBox Control PC Software
- 20 MusicBox 3 5 stalls on Start Up
- 21 RoomBox 4 Random Code on LCD Panels
- 22 Ipad App wont connect
- 23 Music box 3 not working
- 24 gobbledegook appears on the display pads
- 25 MusicBox question
- 26 Roombox NT firmware update
- 27 RoomBox NT Firmware update 2
- 28 RoomBox 6 Configuration
- 29 Displaypad NT versions ...
- 30 Studio 6 video metadata
- 31 Studio 6 unwanted video files
- 32 8-More / RoomBox NT compatibility
- 33 iPhone app and PC/Mac Clients ...
- 34 re-installed the pc config software on room box6 but still get error message
- 35 Studio 6 film info server
- 36 Managaing Studio 6 video information.
- 37 Mac client for Studio 6
- 38 Event System issues
- 39 Deleting on a Studio 6
- 40 room box 6 setup : "sound server titles not installed" message
- 41 What level of iPad/iPhone control can we expect from the following setup, now or in the future?
- 42 noisy unit
- 43 Problems with Roombox 3.16 running on MRS 4.1
- 44 From Peter Taulli
- 45 Roombox 6 Volume Issue
- 46 Cambridge Audio Tuner File
- 47 Multiple Display Pads on Single Zone
- 48 iPhone App
- 49 LIVING CONTROL SETUP HELP!
- 50 IR Control of Roombox NT - problems solved
- 51 iPhone / iPad App...
- 52 Room box 6 Display Pad Issue
- 53 Tuner control problem
- 54 4 more RBNT and CVX compatibility
- 55 Roombox 6 config software
- 56 using 2 room box 6s
- 57 Cannot find instructions for PC app
- 58 Windows Application works well on Microsoft Surface PRO tablet computer
- 59 Music Box 3 NT sound cuts out
- 60 Displaypad NT - can it act as a IR emitter?
- 61 Dial Up still supported?
- 62 Config lost after power cut
- 63 cannot change Music box settings to allow access to Freedb
Musicbox upgrade to NT compatability & NT Timeouts.
Martin, i believe there is a software upgrade to make the musicbox5 compatible with the NT roombox, how would i go about obtaining this ? Also i have swapped out the std roombox6 and i have the NT system up and running, it seems to time out after a while, you can be watching Sky and it drops out, after a minute or so if you room off and reselect sky off we go again, to remove any configuration errors it is currently only set up with one source (sky) rather than the eight i have. As you konw i have upgraded all the software to current ones, any thoughts ?
Regards Nutter965 11:25, 31 March 2011 (BST)
- The MuiscBox5 should already be compatible with the RoomBoxNT. What problems are you having?
- can you give any more info about the timeout. Do you have a CVX? Is it just the picture that you lose? What does the pad in the room do? Martin Hogbin 19:08, 31 March 2011 (BST)
Hi Martin, funny i was looking at the system this morning and the time clock on the front panel stopped for around 10 sec then the system re-boots, i re set the configuration and at the moment everything seems to be OK, but i have only loaded the 2 sky boxes the dvd player and the radio as sources, when i disconnected from the roombox it reboots and everything works fine but when i close the living control window or disconnect the serial lead it re boots again. The Music box when selected on the colour pads displays Title Error and nothing plays,it my be that the software needs an update as i'm now running the latest roombox software ? Nutter965 09:48, 1 April 2011 (BST)
- Have you left a computer plugged in to the RoomBox. Martin Hogbin 11:49, 1 April 2011 (BST)
Computer is disconnected now and all seems to be fine, oh just to add yes i have a CVX-HD I also need to get the music box up and running, it was working fine on the RoomBox6 i enabled NT in the settings It is running version 3.67 software. i also need to get the Rako module working, i'm trying to run it from one of the comms ports rather than the rako plug, i'm using the rako rs232 unit, i have configured the rooms and house number etc but to no avail, there doesn't seem to be any where to tell the roomboxNT that the unit is on a comms port ?
Nutter965 14:01, 1 April 2011 (BST)
Martin just to update you, system is running fine now i haven't reloaded a new config to include the musicbox till we see what may be up with mine, i'm wondering if it was causing a conflict as they wouldn't talk to each other ? could you help with the sorting the Rako. Neale Nutter965 21:13, 1 April 2011 (BST)
- You are going to need a RAV NT to connect to the RoomBox NT. Martin Hogbin 16:29, 4 April 2011 (BST)
Can you supply me with one ? regards Neale Nutter965 12:31, 6 April 2011 (BST)
- We can supply them, please email for details. Martin Hogbin 20:13, 7 April 2011 (BST)
Can a Living Control Synergy MusicBox (aka iMerge S1000 Soundserver) be used with a RoomBox4?
I replaced my RoomBox4 with a Roombox6 some while back and have recently acquired a Living Control Synergy MusicBox (aka iMerge S1000 Soundserver). Can this be used with my old RoomBox4? mlc 22:41, 7 April 2011 (BST)
- Unfortunately not, you will need a later (Startide) MusicBox. Martin Hogbin 09:37, 8 April 2011 (BST)
I thought that might be the case... but if I've read elsewhere correctly, I could use it with my RoomBox6 if I revert to V2.2 s/w? mlc 10:12, 8 April 2011 (BST)
- That is correct. Martin Hogbin 23:51, 25 April 2011 (BST)
Room Box 6, Is it possible to split one of the outputs / zones with a physical switch ?
I have a RoomBox 6 with a VideoPad and 2 speakers in a bedroom, I want to add 2 speakers in a bathroom but have it controlled by the pad in the bedroom. Some sort of 3 way switch with the output going to bedroom, bathroom or both...
Any ideas ? Cheers Tony
Tonyj 11:45, 27 April 2011 (BST)
- If you just want to have two extra speakers both controlled by one pad that is easy, just connect the extra speakers to the same output on the RoomBox.
- More flexible would be a Zone Splitter and an extra VideoPad. This gives you control from either the bathroom or the bedroom. When you turn it on in, say, the bathroom, it will play only in the bathroom. If you then press the pad in the bedroom pad it will play in there too. This lets you play in bedroom, bathroom or both. Email for prices. Martin Hogbin 12:18, 27 April 2011 (BST)
Thanks Martin. Connecting to the same output wont work as I don't necessarily want both sets of speakers on at the same time (as I said I want to choose Bedroom, Bathroom or Both), Do you know of a physical Switch I can you use on the output ?
The zone splitter also sounds like it solves the problem, could I mix a VideoPad and a DisplayPad in the same Zone ?
Tonyj 12:42, 27 April 2011 (BST)
- Yes you can. Martin Hogbin 15:55, 27 April 2011 (BST)
Roombox 4 Display pad issue
I have a roombox 4 and the display pads are just saying code? any idea how to rectify this? Ta
- It looks as though you have somehow managed to get into the IR test menu. Press the right hand button on the pad in zone 1. The number on the second line should increase. Keep pressing this button until the bottom line changes to 'Exit', then press the centre button. This should take you to the setup menu. Press the right hand button again to get to 'Exit' and then the centre button to exit the setup menu. Martin Hogbin
Tried that but still cant get out this menu, if i hold all 3 buttons then i get the set up menu, set the zone and then the screen goes blank!! any other ideas?Nicktvav 13:31, 16 May 2011 (BST)nick
- If that does not work it looks like the RoomBox will have to come back for repair. For prices and address to send it to see Fixed_price_repairs Martin Hogbin 16:39, 16 May 2011 (BST)
What configuration should the dip switches be set to?
Sussed it ! Dip switch 1 on!!
- Well done! I trust all is OK now. Martin Hogbin 10:56, 23 May 2011 (BST)
Using a MusicBox3 with the iPhone app
We have inherited a Living Control System with our new house. We have the following:
MusicBox3 running MB5 v 3.58 Roombox 6VX running version 2.9
On the PCs we are running the musicbox control software v 1.35
The musicbox is connected to the WiFi system.
How do we get this working with the iPhone app? At the moment we can't see the musicbox from the phones, although it is clearly on the network as we can see it from the computers.
- Your iPhone should see the MusicBox with the setup that you have. Is it logging on to your WiFi network? Martin Hogbin 08:20, 12 May 2011 (BST)
Ok, the iPhone is seeing the music box (rebooted it!!!). When I run the iPhone app I have 2 buttons at the bottom of the app - Artists and Albums. THis doesn't seem to be what is described in the manual for the iPhone app - I'm not getting a page showing room names at all. I've just downloaded the app from iTunes so I'm sure it's the latest version.
On the Artists page I see a list of the letters 0-9,, A-Z, but I can't select any of them. On the Albums page I see a full list of all the albums. I can select an album and press play, which moves me to the screen showing the <<, || and >> buttons, but nothing happens on the music system.
On the Video Pad I have the options Tuner, Music1, Music2, DVD, Sky. I have tried selecting both Music1 and Music2 but all I get are the normal options of then selecting an album/playlist - it doesn't seem to pick up what I have selected on the iPhone.
- Since the change of operating system on the iPhone, our app has not worked very well. We are working on a new version which I hope will be available soon. Martin Hogbin 09:20, 12 May 2011 (BST)
Ah! Ok thankyou! Any chance of a new version of the PC controlling software that works a bit more like iTunes?
- You should be able to find a PC client on the MusicBox itself. It should be in a folder called 'clients'. If you cannot find one or that is the one you already have, you can download the latest version from the wiki at MusicBox_and_Studio6_control_software_clients but that may not work with your version of MusicBox firmware. Martin Hogbin 10:29, 12 May 2011 (BST)
We installed an nt system 2 years ago, it remains without issue with the exception of one water pad. Can you remind me how to get into it's confit menu so that I can set it's zone up, and what is the current firmware version for these as it loosing its zone number has been an intermittent issue.
Many thanks Paul
- To get into the setup menu for the WaterPad-NT you should touch and hold the 'Mute' button (top right). You may need to hold it for quite a long time. The current software for the WaterPad NT is V3.3. Maybe something is activating the setup menu and changing the zone. Martin Hogbin 09:03, 19 May 2011 (BST)
Is there a diagram / manual how to connect up the More8 to a RoomboxNT / MusicBox6?
I have the cable to connect the More8 to the RoomboxNT, but am uncertain which way round the Inputs / Sources are connected between the 2 boxes. Do all the sources have to be connected first to the More8 and then the More8 daisychain them to the Roombox? - ie sequence being
Source ---> input More8 More8 output ----> RoomboxNT
I recall hearing that the More8 has to be switched on in a certain order to avoid potential damage - what is the safe sequence?
thanks! Basejump 18:08, 6 June 2011 (BST)
- I have corrected the name of the product to 8-More. I will add some answers to your question to the article. Martin Hogbin 09:51, 7 June 2011 (BST)
- I have just had a look at the article and it seems to answer your questions already. Switch the 8-More on first or both together. This is only to make sure the RoomBox detects the 8-More, there is no damage issue. Do not plug the connecting lead in live, this is noted in the article. Please let me know if anything is not clear and I will improve it. Martin Hogbin 09:56, 7 June 2011 (BST)
I have a Musicbox and Roombox (c. 5 years old). Recently when i switch to any of the 3 tuners from the keypad the following problems occur: - they will only tune to the channel that the tuner is currently tuned to ie if i select another pre-set radio channel from the key pad it doesn't change the channel on the tuner. (The tuners will change channel manually though) - frequently when i select a tuner from the key pad there is a delay of several seconds or longer before the tuner responds
I have no problems playing CDs
Any ideas to solve gratefully received
- That sound like a problem with the blink emitters. These need to be fixed in front of the IR receiver on the front of the tuner. Maybe they have been pulled off. Also, make sure that they are plugged in to the back of the RoomBox. Which RoomBox do you have. Martin Hogbin 14:47, 21 June 2011 (BST)
My boxes are RB3 and MB6. The blink emitters are still firmly fixed to the tuner in the same place they have always been in front of the IR receiver. I have also checked that they are plugged in to the RB, which they are. Do you have any other ideas?
- It could be the IR chip in the RoomBox. What does it say in the top right-hand corner of the RoomBox display? Martin Hogbin 23:21, 22 June 2011 (BST)
Reconnect the Event
I have unfortunately had a break-in at a property where much of the AV system was stolen or ripped out. I am now reconnecting The Event multi room system to sources and several display pad –SL’s.
I’m hoping to obtain any instruction manual, technical drawings or wiring diagrams that you have available for the Event CPU.
- We do not have any manuals for the MRS and Event. You can download the CPU installation guide from here on the dealer zone of our main web site. The cover the later RoomBox 6 but the wiring is the same. You may need a dealer login, if so email me at email@example.com.
- I have also started a page on the wiki for the MRS and Event where I will put some useful information for you. You can ask questions on the associated discussion page. Martin Hogbin 17:33, 21 June 2011 (BST)
Basic set up
Recently moved into new house where the is Living Control set up in numerous rooms. Have read through the pages on this wiki and given me some information, but give my tech level is low to average could do with some foolproof guidance if possible, rather ask now before setting up and wasting time doing needless work. I have no problems playing back CDs have imported into the system.
I have a Music Box, silver, with CD slot under 5 buttons and a blue screen but unsure which model it is, then there is a separate silver box underneath which am guessing is hard drive, the house is around 6 years old, I believe the system was installed when it was built . Scrolling through the menu it says it is version 2.18. It connected to my home network and the internet, disc look up working fine, although my home PC doesn't list it under network devices (maybe need to install software on PC first but which version?), also have downloaded the iPhone apps, find the IP address but no rooms or songs are listed.
The Display Pads are small with blue screen and 3 buttons in an arc, they can be temperamental i.e. not that responsive in some rooms, can take forever to scroll through even though there are only 20 CDs currently loaded.
So apologies for numerous questions, but would like to optimize the system.
1) How do I find out which box I have?
- Have look here to help identify the boxes.
Thanks for the dealer entry, have printed off some of the hardware set up configurations and will compare those to the rear of the boxes I have to help identify them Jonny 11:09, 30 June 2011 (BST) 2) What software should I download to my PC?
3) Is it possible to upgrade the software on the box if necessary?
- If you can identify the two boxes I can answer these. Martin Hogbin 20:22, 29 June 2011 (BST)
4) When above is done can I send songs from iTunes directly to the Music Box to save hours and days loading discs on?
- We are producing some software to do this automatically. I will let you know when this is ready. Martin Hogbin
5) Likewise if above done will the iPhone app work?
- The iPhone app is being completely rewritten. I should wait for the new version. Martin Hogbin 20:22, 29 June 2011 (BST)
6) If can't access via iPhone app how easy to replace and upgrade some of the keypads to make the system more user friendly
7) Trying to access some of the manuals and software requires a dealer username and password, can someone provide me with one so can access above if necessary?
- Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for this info. Martin Hogbin 20:29, 29 June 2011 (BST)
Thanks in advance for all advice received. Jonny 10:25, 29 June 2011 (BST)
MusicBox title lookup settings
Can you let me know the new DNS settings for the title look up on a MB3 please, Client is ripping discs but the title information is not looking up. has this changed from FreeDB?
thanks MarkIn2thefuture 10:41, 1 July 2011 (BST)
- The correct setting can be found at MusicBox_settings#FreeDb_server. Let me know how it goes. Martin Hogbin 12:32, 1 July 2011 (BST)
Expanding a system with two RoomBox 6s.
Currently 12 zones of audio, need to increase to 14 separate zones (not using zone splitters) Add 6x6 Matrix for 6 HDMI inputs to 6 HD outputs
- You could add a RoomBox 4 but this product has significant limitations. There are:
- Limited source compatibility.
- Can only used DisplayPads.
- No control via the MusicBox GUI
- Better, but more expensive, would be another RoomBox 6. This would leave 4 zones free for future expansion.
- Our CVX HD has 2 HDMI (expandable to 6) inputs and 6 component down a single CAT 5 outputs. You would need to put all the video zones on one of the RoomBoxes. Martin Hogbin 15:03, 4 July 2011 (BST)
RoomBox6 and itunes
Im having trouble with itunes and my RoomBox6... When I add the Living Control to itunes as a folder to be added to the library it goes through the process, but it seems to add it as a block without being broken into albumns properly and I cant pick up any Albumn covers properly (its a new install of itunes, so the library is clean). Help
- I presume you are talking about the MusicBox, that is the music server that goes with the RoomBox 6. You should drag files into the import folder on your MusicBox. Is that what you are doing? What format are the files in? Martin Hogbin 20:31, 11 July 2011 (BST)
Hi,no im going the other way. I want to use the MusicBox as my storage and itunes on my PC to pick up the music that is on the MusicBox. So if i turn on the PC and iTunes it picks up the music on the musicbox.... Which it does but the tracks / albums are all over the place and itunes cant find the cover art
- You have done quite well to get as far as you have. The MusicBox is not designed to be used as an iTunes store. Better to put all your music onto the MusicBox and play it from there. Martin Hogbin 23:45, 11 July 2011 (BST)
Pads not displaying track info
Hi - looking for a little help,
We have an MB5-NT and ant RB6 running 2.7 -
recently, when we play stored music from the MB5, we just get the pads saying "Playing Music 1" etc, not the name of the track like we used to. We can still browse all the music fine, but as soon as you hit OK, it reverts back to the above.
I presume it's a simple setting somewhere?
- That is most mysterious. Have you made any changes to the RoomBox config lately? When did this first start to happen? Martin Hogbin 20:49, 22 July 2011 (BST)
No changes to config, only thing i did was that I was getting *Title *Error previously, but serial cable was a little loose
- That is very odd. I cannot think of any config settings that would give you the symptoms that you have. You should either get the tiles shown when selecting and when playing or, in the case of a config error, you would get no titles at all. You are sure you do not get album titles when playing? Martin Hogbin 09:39, 23 July 2011 (BST)
Found it - Multi CPU wasn't set to off...
- Well done! I had forgotten completely about that one. Martin Hogbin 14:41, 25 July 2011 (BST)
Is there any plans to have an iPad app to contol the roombox6 (Billgm 21:03, 27 July 2011 (BST))
- The iPod app does work with the RoomBox 6 but it always requires a MusicBox. In any case best wait for the new release of the app. Martin Hogbin 23:30, 27 July 2011 (BST)
Studio6 audio question
A quick Q regarding the music outputs on a Studio6
Basically, I have music 1-4 on the studio6 wired into an NT on inputs 3,4,5 and 6 and the program is set as such.
My problem is that I can select music and listen on music 1 but when I use the keypads music 2,3 or 4 wont work!.....I can choose songs etc but no sound
What am I doing wrong?
As I say Music 1 works fine on all keypads!
- What have to set sources 3,4,5,6 to in the config software? Martin Hogbin 22:51, 28 July 2011 (BST)
Studio6 Hard Drives
Hi, following a recent failure of a hard drive in my sudio6 (the middle drive) i have lost 82 films that where on that drive. I want to know
1. Can i just replace the drive with a standard formated drive (using Windows to format) or do i need to to have it formated with a linux machine ??
2. Seeing the drives are only 1Gig, can i just upgrade the two slave drives to 2Gig drive versions ??
3. Now since we have had a failure, is there a way to backup the content of each drive to an alternative external drive ??
4. One the same vain as item 3, can the unit be configured to look for media on a NAS drive and backup as well ??
5. Since looking inside the Studio, i can see that the positioning and the configuation of the hard drives is not the best for heat dissipation in the unit. Seeing heat is a big killer of hard drives i believe that being able to server media from an external NAS bay would be better, i could then remove two of the drives, and leave just the main system drive on it own.
Please if someone could give me guildance on the above items i would be very greatful.
- We do not recommend or support user servicing of Living Control products. I would suggest that you return the unit to us for repair. See Fixed_price_repairs We could also do a drive upgrade at the same time if you wish.
- Unfortunately there is at present no facility to use a NAS drive with Studio 6/3 Martin Hogbin 00:29, 13 August 2011 (BST)
How to identify Software Version of RoomBox4
I've read that to use the Stream iPod dock kit with my RoomBox4 the RoomBox needs to have firmware version 1.7 or higher. As there is no GUI, how do I establish the firmware version?
- Have you managed to obtain an iPod dock? Martin Hogbin 14:10, 13 August 2011 (BST)
Hi Martin - no, I haven't tried to buy it yet - I've seen the leaflet advertising it and I was taking first steps to see if my system configuration would work with it, before deciding if it was worth spending out on - do you have any experience of the iPod dock?
- We have never managed to get a sample for evaluation, they do not seem to be available. Can you let me know if you manage to get hold of one.
- To find out the version of your RoomBox 4 you will need to switch it off then turn it on again and watch one of the pads while it starts up. It should give you the version number. Martin Hogbin 15:10, 15 August 2011 (BST)
Martin - it flashes up "DPS 2.1" - I assume that is software version 2.1? In the meantime I have emailed Stream and await a reply.....
- That is the software version in the pad. Does it say anything after that? Martin Hogbin 18:55, 15 August 2011 (BST)
On the pad I am looking at, after the DPS 2.1 display, it just changes to a single digit "6" before changing to "Room is Off".
- I think it might not be posible to tell the version without opening the box. Do you have the serial number? We might be able to look it up. ~~
Martin - I assume the serial number from the unit is on the back - that's going to have to wait until I dissasemble everything to return the MB5 below........
Martin - it's now been disassembled and appears to be software version 5.5 - does that make sense? BTW - this may all be pointless because, as per your story, I have had no response to either email or phone message from the Stream iPod dock people....
- That does not sound like a valid software version. Where did that come from? Martin Hogbin 17:09, 23 August 2011 (BST)
Download of Latest MusicBox Control PC Software
I keep rebuilding my PC and losing downloaded applications. Please can you supply a link to the latest XP compatible MusicBox PC application?
- You can download the latest version from MusicBox_and_Studio6_control_software_clients. If that turns out not to be compatible with your MusicBox software, I suggest that you get the version from the MusicBox itself. You should find it on a folder called 'Clients'. Martin Hogbin 14:08, 13 August 2011 (BST)
MusicBox 3 5 stalls on Start Up
Martin - I have a Music Box 5 (which displays MusicBox 3 STARTIDE on start up but then when fully booted shows MB5 software version). Recently the box has stalled on powering up and never got past the MusicBox 3 screen before powering down completely. In between it makes repeated noises lke a stalled motor or disc. Is there any kind of hard reset or disc defrag or other function that might sort this out or does it sound like a return to factory type issue?
- That does not sound good I am afraid. It will need to come back to us, see: Fixed_price_repairs
Not much point whinging here I assume about £3,500 worth of hard drive lasting less than 4 years with minimal useage when I have a £1k PC that's still going happily after 10 years of daily use....not exactly fit and forget consumer friendly kit....
- I am sorry to hear that your MusicBox has a fault. These things do regrettably happen from time to time; PC components fail randomly and there is little that we or anyone else can do to change this. Martin Hogbin 00:04, 17 August 2011 (BST)
RoomBox 4 Random Code on LCD Panels
Martin - over the last few years, randomly but quite often when I power up the RoomBox 4, the LCD panels display some random code along the lines of "Room$y67&^8@99of%". If I cycle through the panel displays to select Room is Off and press the left button then the display returns to the normal Room is Off language and there seem to be no ill effects in operation. Indeed, even with the daft code, I can still have music playing if I have selected it using the Room Control application on my PC. However, as I am about to incur the expense of having my system broken down to return the MusicBox5 (see above) I am considering dealing with any potential issues all at the same time rather than incur the repeat expense and hassle again in the future. Can you please advise if this issue justifies a return of the RoomBox4 for service?
- I do not think that there is a problem with your RoomBox that warrants return to us. It is generally best to leave the system switched on. Martin Hogbin 11:47, 18 August 2011 (BST)
Ipad App wont connect
Hi there, We downloaded the living control app from the itunes store and were able to connect it to our living control system and were able to change the volume of the tvs. We took the ipad upstairs and when we came back down, when we go to select the app, it appears to be "scanning" and it wont work. We have deleted the app and redownloaded it and nothing has changed.
- The current app has not been very reliable since the update to the Apple operating system. A new app is being written and will be available shortly. Martin Hogbin 09:40, 20 August 2011 (BST)
Martin - will the new app be able to control a networked MusicBox5?
- Yes, the new app should control any MusicBox on the network that it connects to. Martin Hogbin 17:07, 23 August 2011 (BST)
Music box 3 not working
Hi Martin, I purchased a living control room box 6 complete system from eBay, however, the seller did not show me the unit working ( I told him I had my own installer). When I tested the system at home the lights on the music box 3 did not light up, but the light on the room box 6 did light up. I noticed that at the rear of the music box 3 that there were 2 power units. So I bought another power cable and looped the music server to the room box. By that time I found out that I needed to press the last button on the far right of the unit to get the music box 3 to work. The room box 6 lit up and after depressing the button on music box 3 for more than 3 seconds (as instructed) it still did not light up. I have spoken to the seller and he suggests that by looping the two systems together, I may have blown a fuse. He says the fuse is on the inside rear of the music box 3 unit. He told me to change the fuse and then it would be okay. He further told me that if this did not solve the fault, then I may have done more damage than originally thought. By the way, the room box 6 was and is working before, during and since my looping the two together. Please comment as I wish to resolve this matter soon and in an amicable manner.
- The MusicBox uses a standard PC power supply which on some earlier models had a power output socket intended for a screen etc. We do not recommend using this output to pass power on to a RoomBox.
- If the RoomBox continued to work when powered through the MusicBox I think it is highly unlikely that you have caused and damage to the power supply. You could re-check this by plugging something like a PC screen into this outlet and seeing if it will power it.
- There are no user replaceable fuses or other parts in the MusicBox so if any damage has been done you will need to get the MusicBox repaired - see Fixed_price_repairs for details. We would then be able to give an opinion on what the problem was caused by. Do not open or try to repair the power supply in the MusicBox. Martin Hogbin 16:34, 1 September 2011 (BST)
gobbledegook appears on the display pads
We have a room box 6 which has suddenly started playing up! when we try to play music the artist and track name appears on the display pads in the rooms but after when you touch play this message appears Y = (black square) \0 (black rectangle) no sound comes from the system in any of the zones -any idea how to clear this or does the system need repair?
- It looks as though the config has become corrupted. You should either get your dealer to reload it or go to the PC_configuration_software page and download the RoomBox 6 config software, in which case you may have to rewrite it from scratch. Martin Hogbin 14:48, 4 September 2011 (BST)
Thank you for your reply, I am sorry to bother you again but I now have another problem. I connected my PC (which is windows vista) to the roombox 6 using a serial adapter to download the latest pc config software, but it fails to connect and flashes 'menu disabled' on the other side of the living control main page I have made sure that the cable is connected properly - any ideas? Thanks again
front panel buttons not working.
front panel hangs on first screen and no buttons work apart from on button which switches on but not off. software on screen works though. any ideas?
Roombox NT firmware update
If the Roombox NT freezes when booting (front panel just displays white squares and system is unresponsive to button pushes) is it possible to use the firmware update software?
Should the Roombox NT be switched off when trying to update the firmware??
Are all versions of the firmware backwards compatible with the DisplayPads?
Is there any chance of a mismatch between the 8-more and RoomBox NT firmware?
Thanks Basejump 14:58, 9 September 2011 (BST)
- It should be OK to update the firmware with an unresponsive front panel. The unit must be switched on. You need to ensure compatibility with the DisplayPads. The 8-More should be fine. Martin Hogbin 15:28, 9 September 2011 (BST)
RoomBox NT Firmware update 2
Hi, Re compatibility of Displaypad NTs and Roombox NT - is the most recent version of the Roombox NT firmware backwards compatible with all versions of the Displaypad NTs?
Can you use Displaypad NTs with differing versions of their firmware on the same RoomBox NT? thanks, Basejump 15:03, 12 September 2011 (BST)
- It is best to update everything to the latest version. Martin Hogbin 22:30, 12 September 2011 (BST)
RoomBox 6 Configuration
Hi I am having trouble connecting to the room box 6 I have loaded the latest s/w and using Vista. The programme trys to connect but then crashes the RB6 shows PC mode on the lcd I then get a microsoft message telling me that the room box 6 configuration has stoped working. I tried removing the custom folder from the room box 6 softwear. Note I am using a prolifc usb to serial bridge. Any idears?
- This is a problem with the config software on your computer with your particular operating system and setup. It is very hard for me to make any useful suggestions except to suggest trying a different computer running Windows XP. Check you cave nothing running that might be trying to use the USB comm port such as some phone sync software.
- Prolific USB-serial adapters normally work well, make sure that you have the right driver installed. Martin Hogbin 08:45, 14 September 2011 (BST)
Displaypad NT versions ...
Hi Martin, Having successfully updated the Roombox Firmwware and used the new RoomBoxNT config software, I am still having problems getting new Displaypads NTs to work (RoomboxNT hangs on 'Detecting Devices"'), so I have a couple of questions:
Is it possible to update the Displaypad NTs on site?
Some of the displaypads are showing differing versions and seem to cause timeout / no response problems... Is there a chart / table of which versions of the Displaypad software will coexist without problems??
Is there a way of determining which zone/displaypad is causing problems from the front panel of the Roombox??
many thanks, Basejump 11:25, 14 September 2011 (BST)
- The DisplayPad NTs need a chip change to update them.
- Try the RoomBox with no pads connected. It should boot OK then. Compatibility table is at RoomBox_NT_compatibility I need to update it.
- Set up the zone connection display (see RoomBox_NT_front_panel_controls) and connect the pads one by one. Martin Hogbin 23:54, 14 September 2011 (BST)
Techno 16:04, 24 November 2011 (GMT) Martin - Could you update the Roombox NT Compatibility table please, as it doesn't seem to include details of compatible products for the latest version of the RBNT firmware. Thanks
- Done. There are no changes to the pad versions. Martin Hogbin 12:18, 25 November 2011 (GMT)
Studio 6 video metadata
Hi , I have just got a second hand studio 6. I have captured a few DVDs but i am unable to get it to find any move metadata. ie no artwork, no genre, no actors etc. Also, when i look at my studio 6 over my PC windows XP network. I can see sone user folders, but cant see any system folders/files or any of the videos i have captured?? any help would be appreciated.Richard Film Buff 20:25, 15 September 2011 (BST)
- Have you got the film info server set correctly? I will let you know the correct setting. Martin Hogbin 00:13, 17 September 2011 (BST)
hi martin, im not sure if any of the internet source settings are correct, ie update site, video source. the video source currently shows imbd.com??? on my internet setting screen it shows 4 different lines where it seems to say studio will look to the internet for information. not sure if any of them are set correctlyRichard Film Buff 04:06, 17 September 2011 (BST)
Studio 6 unwanted video files
I Have a Studio 6 with unwanted video files showing in video1 and video2 folders, I can see them but when i try to delete or move them i get a message saying permission denied. As anyone got any ideas how i can sort this out. The files are taking up a lot of space. Also, how can i see how much space remaining on the studio 6 (3tb) but not sure how much i've used.Richard Film Buff 19:44, 18 September 2011 (BST)
8-More / RoomBox NT compatibility
I am experiencing some difficulties with an 8-More / RoomboxNT being paired. Although the zones work and sources can be played using the PC / Mac clients, the displaypads (all running SPD v3.3, ver 3.03.01 continuously remain lit and display the version number and 'Wait' ...
The RoomboxNT is running firmware 4.00.01 (updated from the download page of the Wiki)
The 8-More and the RoomboxNT have slightly differing versions of the internals - the three system elements - like IR Controller etc briefly listed by the RoomboxT display at startup are numbered 1.0 / 1.2 / 1.0 whereas those of the 8-More are listed as 1.1 / 1.3 / 1.1. Are there any known issues with using a 8-More with more recent versions than a RoomBox NT?
Using the display pads with the RoomboxNT unplugged from the 8-More works fine. Whenever the 8-More is connected the user config needs reinstalling (simple enough) but the keypads stop responding. Also, system response seems noticeably slower with the 8More attached (even in the PC / Mac client app.)
I'm stumped as to what to try. The Z button on the Roombox does not recognise the displaypads with the 8More attached...
Any thoughts? Thanks! Basejump 14:18, 19 September 2011 (BST)
- I looks as though your 8-More may be broken in some way. Where did it come from? Martin Hogbin 10:54, 26 September 2011 (BST)
iPhone app and PC/Mac Clients ...
Do you have any news on when the new iphone app will be available? Will it also work on ipad / ipad2?
It would be very useful if the iphone and PC / Mac clients had a screen mode which showed what source / track was playing in which zone - an overview of the system status in effect. Is there a way of doing this at present?
Basejump 18:31, 19 September 2011 (BST)
- The new iPhone app should be available soon. I do not think there is any way that you can get a whole house overview. Martin Hogbin 12:54, 21 September 2011 (BST)
Any update on when the new ap for the iPhone will be released. You have been saying soon for a long time and it would be nice to get a date! Thanks Techno 00:09, 29 October 2011 (BST)
re-installed the pc config software on room box6 but still get error message
I have re installed the software( I downloaded it from a link on this website) using a serial adapter and connected it via the living control page, when I looked at the titles (I couldnt get into the sources or zones without a dealer password) all the zones showed corrupt symbols so I sent the new config to the roombox6 and a series of red X's appeared in each of the zones. the roombox6 now says 'error 001 contact your dealer for advice ' what do I do now? hopefully you can help?
- Without the password you cannot set the config so you must have sent a blank config to the RoomBox. You will need to set all the sources again, the default password is the word 'password'. Enter this then edit the sources to reflect those that you actually have on the system. Martin Hogbin 23:53, 22 September 2011 (BST)
Studio 6 film info server
Hi Martin, what should the film info server be set to so that my movies pick up facts from the internet. ie genre, director, actors, artwork, etc..
- Sorry for the slow response, I am trying to find out this info, however, our film databeas is far from complete so many films will not be there. Martin Hogbin 22:08, 3 October 2011 (BST)
Managaing Studio 6 video information.
Does anyone know what the internet video info server should be set to, and also, does anyone know how to manually manage/edit the video info. I can change the artwork but want to know how and where to mange genre, actors, etc. Thanks Richard
Mac client for Studio 6
Martin, We have a client with a Studio 6 who cannot edit film / title information using a MAC. The information we need is to be able to use version 1.33 software to alter the DVD information stored on the Studio 6 via a MAC. Currently the software starts and sees the Studio 6 as a five output Music Box and the Video side is not accessible at all. any ideas please? mark
- Thanks, we are just looking into whats what between the pc clients and the mac. I'll get back to you asap Sean 17:52, 21 October 2011 (BST)
Event System issues
I have just purchased an older event system for my house, installation was simple at first then i hit an issue - The panels light up green, (buttons in a straight line - older design) they say MRD 1.5 and the Zone, if i press all three buttons together it tells me the same, nothing else gets displayed unless i press button 1 and 2 together and it says 'speaker off' this remains on the display until i restart the system or press the three buttons again. If i press the buttons in the right sequence everything seems to work as far as channel selection and volume control goes, but still no displays, wires have been checked with a multimeter Event unit starts saying v2.2 also on a side note, Will the newer pads work with this system? Itssimple 09:01, 2 November 2011 (GMT)
- It sounds like there is a problem in the communication from the Event to the DisplayPads. This could be in three possible places: the output driver in the Event, the cable, the input circuit in the DisplayPad. You have checked the cable and it would seem unlikely (but not impossible) that the same fault would be present all the DisplayPads you have, so the most likely problem, in my opinion, is the output driver for the Event.
- You could determine where the problem lies by connecting a known good DispayPad (maybe checked out on another system) to the Event with a CAT5 patch lead. If the problem is with the Event, you could use our Fixed price repairs service. Martin Hogbin 09:29, 2 November 2011 (GMT)
Okay brought a few good displays and nothing.. until i unplugged the old ones and hey presto it all works! Can your repair people look at the two old pads as i would like to be able to use all 6 outputs if possible! Itssimple
- No problem, just follow the instructions for our Fixed price repairs service. Martin Hogbin 14:51, 4 November 2011 (GMT)
Deleting on a Studio 6
How do I delete a film on the Studio 6? Gill 16:37, 3 November 2011 (GMT)
room box 6 setup : "sound server titles not installed" message
Hi I have now successfully re installed the config on the roombox 6 and all is now working well - apart from when the tuner is selected on the display pads they now no longer show the radio station name - only "pres 1' Is this something to do with the message "sound server titles not installed" which has appeared on the roombox or is this something different? thanks for your help Sadhippo 12:42, 5 November 2011 (GMT)
- The radio station names need to be entered into the config software. It sound like the config is wrong if you are getting a "sound server titles not installed". You should check that the config matches the sources actually fitted. Martin Hogbin 15:09, 6 November 2011 (GMT)
What level of iPad/iPhone control can we expect from the following setup, now or in the future?
An acquaintance has inherited a RoomBox6 and MusicBox3 set up in the flat he has just bought. The RoomBox is connected to a few panels around the flat to control lighting, alarms and audio, the latter via IR sensors and repeaters attached to hi-fi. At the moment the control of the music is limited to the amplifier being used to switch between the Sky box digital output, TV, CD player and DAB radio: the MusicBox is not as yet connected to the amplifier neither via analogue outputs nor a digital cable. This last flaw will be one of the first things I intend to rectify.
OK, so far not too much of a problem once I get a digital cable (can you point me at a spec for that?)
The new owner is an Apple fan (iPad, iPhone, iTunes and Apple TV) and wants to be able to control as much of the system as it possible from the iPad/iPhone. I think it is clear that video selection will still be done using traditional TV remote to choose between Sky, Apple TV and Freeview as there is no Living Control compatible video switching gear in the setup.
I have experimented by connecting the MusicBox up to the user's wireless router using an ethernet cable, and even installed the Living Controls app on the iPad/iPhone in the hope that it might find and control the MusicBox. The app does indeed find the MusicBox at the correct IP address, but no albums or artists are displayed and the app crashes after a few seconds. From what I have managed to divine from this site it seems that "NT" level software/hardware might be required so I fear that iPad/iPhone control of the Living Controls equipment may not be achievable even if some level of firmware upgrade is possible. The MusicBox firmware is at version 2.16. I'm afraid I didn't make a note of the RoomBox firmware version but for the time being it is probably safe to assume that it is from the same era as 2.16 of the MusicBox
Of course I can easily give the owner iPad/iPhone control over his Apple components (Apple TV and iTunes library) as the whole point of buying Apple is that their products work together.
Whether I can achieve any control over the Living Controls equipment is the question for the forum to answer.
- You need a serial cable to connect the MusicBox to the RoomBox. This should be of the extension (male to female) type not null modem.
- We are currently upgrading the iPhone app although this is taking rather longer than hoped. The new app will let you control the MusicBox from the iPhone. If the MusicBox is an NT version, or you get it upgraded, you will also be able to control the RoomBox 6. If you navigate to the MusicBox from a PC or Mac you should see a folder called clients. This will contain musicBox PC and Mac software that will enable you to control the system from your PC or Mac.
- You should also find a folder called import. You can drag mp3 and flac files into there to load them on to the MusicBox, other file types may be possible depending on the MusicBox version.Martin Hogbin 20:45, 17 November 2011 (GMT)
"If the MusicBox is an NT version, or you get it upgraded"
Is that just a firmware/software upgrade, or does it involve hardware updates?
- It is a software update but the MusicBox will need to come back to us, we can upgrade the hard drive at the same time. Martin Hogbin 16:40, 18 November 2011 (GMT)
my Music box 3 which is two years old is constantly making a lot of mechanical noise, although it seems to be working ok?? Trevorbritton 10:21
- This may be due to dust in one of the fans or a component that is failing. If it is a failing component you could make use of our fixed price repairs service. Martin Hogbin 12:16, 21 November 2011 (GMT)
Problems with Roombox 3.16 running on MRS 4.1
Hi Martin, Mark at CSE gave me your current location. Could you help me with my own system.
The roombox is connected to the net. All boxes are ticked. Can record and retrieve album infor:mation. Music box is showing on keypads. I can select other sources on keypads. When i select Music box on keypad it shows title error. On the box itself it will let me select music, scroll through album titles, selct album and then I get a screen in which the top line says: -1. (null) - (null) lower line says: o1 -1/-1 0:-01 . below this are the eject, stop, forward, menu and power off icons. It won't let me play music but i haven't found the "select output" heading in the menu list. Ive got it at home and haven't played with it for a while.
Thanks a lot. Buzz
- Buzz, as discussed on the phone, it sounds like the database on the MusicBox has got corrupted. We are going to try a remote login to see if we can fix the problem over the phone. Martin Hogbin 11:46, 23 November 2011 (GMT)
From Peter Taulli
Martin, Please ignore my last question and request. I inputed the details wrong. --Peter taulli 14:59, 24 November 2011 (GMT)
- No problem. Let me know if you need any info. Martin Hogbin 12:20, 25 November 2011 (GMT)
Roombox 6 Volume Issue
Martin, I am still servicing and looking after my clients with a dual Roombox6, CVXS and a Musicbox3 system. The CVXS that went back for repair to you, has been working faultlessly, thank you. The issue that the system seems to be having at present, is specific to a single zone and I am at a loss where to look. I configured the system in multiple configurations and swapped over keypad, outputs, etc…..I will list what I have done below and you may be able to highlight the area I need to look or which unit maybe at fault.
This is an intermittent fault but seems to be increasing in frequency. On one Video pad AV, in a single zone, when the volume is pressed the system mutes or shuts down this single zone and drops down the keypad Volume to 02. If you try to increase the volume, it will increase with a muted volume or none and when the volume is released the volume immediately goes to volume number 02 immediatly. The keypads other touch screen features also do not work correctly when this issue arises. If the room is shut down and re-activated, this seems to cure it for a short period. All other zones that are connected to the same Roombox6 work fine and still work even though the problem zone has gone faulty.
One point that may not may not be relevant. One of the speakers for the offending zone did become water damaged at one point and though the keypad and system seemed to be working correctly, no audio came out of any of the speakers. When I disconnected the offending speaker which is not connected still. The system worked perfectly. I presume too much of a load ?
What I have done to track down on this zone
1. Changed the keypad.
2. Changed all speaker cabling from roombox6 to speaker patch panel for this zone.
3. Changed all Ethernet cables from the roombox6 to patch panel.
4. Connected the faulty zone to another zones speakers.
5. Connected another zone keypad to the faulty zone speakers.
6. Metered the speakers for an acceptable load.
7. I only drove a single speaker and the fault occurred.
Logic seems to dictate that either an intermittent fault with the Roombox6 ? Or RJ45 patch panel or the cabling between the RJ45 patch panel and keypad.
What would be your suggestion on how to proceed? Kind Regards, --Peter taulli 13:37, 29 November 2011 (GMT)
- This is a tricky one. You seem to have investigated thoroughly. I presume that nothing you tried made any difference. It is generally quite hard to damage the amps on a RB6.
- Some thoughts:
- Is this an AV zone? You are using a VideoPad AV.
- Have you tried plugging a DisplayPad into this zone?
- Have you tried plugging the zone pad into one of the other RJ45 sockets as a test? The zone will still work, apart from an IR remote.
- You should redo the touch screen calibration on the VPAV.
Martin Hogbin 16:08, 29 November 2011 (GMT)
Thanks for the thoughts.
Is this an AV zone? No.
You are using a VideoPad AV. I prefered using Videopad AV's than Videopads.
Have you tried plugging a DisplayPad into this zone? Yes but only directly into the Roombox. When tested it worked fine but that alas does not mean a great deal, as the fault could vanish for days and then re-appear multiplet times on the same day.
Have you tried plugging the zone pad into one of the other RJ45 sockets as a test? The zone will still work, apart from an IR remote. No i didn't.
You should redo the touch screen calibration on the VPAV. Thanks next time i will.
The thing that is confusing me. Is why would a IR volume command work fine but the touch screen volume not ?
I'll do the tests you recommended, if you can think of anything else i can try. Kind Regards, --Peter taulli 11:40, 30 November 2011 (GMT)
- Screen calibration could be why the IR works but the screen does not.
- IR interference can cause all sorts of weird problems. The interference could be in a different zone. Put a visible blink emitter into one of the global outputs on the RoomBox an look to see if it flashes.
- I forgot the 'golden question'. It is always worth asking your customer very directly, 'Just before the problems started, what were you doing?'. Apart from the water leak was there anything else that might have precipitated the problem? Martin Hogbin 13:21, 30 November 2011 (GMT)
Martin, I know there is some IR interference as I use blink emitters as standard. Not excessive and this does not seem to have been an issue previously. The system was installed 5 years ago. All the connected sources ( Musicbox3, Sky HD, Denon DVD & Tuner ) seem to function correctly, without having the commands being flooded. Though I do appreciate the comment and have seen some strange stuff when it comes to IR issues. I have always turned off the IR pass-thro on any keypad that does not require IR passthro, I believe its good practise. All the keypads excluding one in the plant room ( See below ) have had the IR turned off on this install. The only other info I can forward to you that maybe relevant is. The clients had attempted to pre-wire the property based on the wrong schematics given by a non Living Control dealer. Because of this, I did have to be imaginative when configuring the system for IR control. I could not use a IR-Gate as there was no cat 5 at the TV area to the plant. My solution which to date has worked and is still working was. I used a Channel plus RF distribution that has IR controls via the RF cable. Here’s the bit that maybe relevant. I then connected a Displaypad via a RJ45 2 to 1 splitter to the same zone as the Videopad AV. Stuck an Emitter from the channel plus system onto the displaypad IR receiver and BOBS YOUR UNCLE! We had control over all the sources connected to the Roombox6 and volume control. I did by-pass this configuration on my tests and just using the Videopad AV connected to the Roomnox6, the fault still occurred. I also connected the Displaypad direct to the Roombox6 and the fault didn’t occur but as previously mentioned this could just be based on timing. The only other relevant occurrence was when I checked all the other zones, I discovered that two exterior speakers had blown and I disconnected them from the Rommbox6 speaker patch panel. The Golden Question was asked and I got the clients to show me before I attempted to track the issue down! From a shut down system. They went to the Videopad AV in the zone that has this issue and chose a piece of music, it played, and they varied the volume. They then chose another piece of music, it played, then they pressed the volume up and the issue occurred. The volume just jumped to 02. I then tried the volume and other commands on the Videopad AV and witnessed the strange behaviour of the keypad. Please note that I did try two Videopad AV's with the same result. When I turned the zone off and on again, the keypad started to function, this lasted for a varying amount of time. I was on site for three hours and the issue occurred 4 times across all the combination changes. Thanks as always, --Peter taulli 15:23, 30 November 2011 (GMT)
- Peter, maybe I should come out on site to take a look. Email me at email@example.com. Martin Hogbin 12:56, 1 December 2011 (GMT)
Cambridge Audio Tuner File
Martin. Many thanks for putting together the Cambridge Audio DAB Tuner controls file. All worked fine apart from a couple of the codes, which may need re-scanning - I've emailed with the details. Techno 10:29, 8 December 2011 (GMT)
- It may be that you need to tick the RC5 box. Let me know if this works. Martin Hogbin
Works a treat with latest DEV file and RC5 ticked. Many thanks Techno 09:56, 14 December 2011 (GMT)
- I will now add the AV codes. Martin Hogbin 10:10, 14 December 2011 (GMT)
Multiple Display Pads on Single Zone
Is it possible to put multiple display pads to operate the same zone, eg by plugging second pad into another zone and then redirecting control aspect or splitting the signal somehow? Techno 10:11, 30 December 2011 (GMT)
- It is possible to have two pads on one zone on a RoomBox 6. Just use a CAT5 splitter or a zone splitter. You cannot do this on a RoomBox NT. What are you trying to do. Martin Hogbin 14:39, 31 December 2011 (GMT)
We are on a Roombox NT so looks like we can't do what we want to do :(. Basically we have a water pad by the bath and want to put a display pad by the bathroom door. Techno 15:58, 31 December 2011 (GMT) No, you cannot do that currently but it is something we might add one day. Martin Hogbin 22:54, 31 December 2011 (GMT)
The 'new' iPhone App appears to have been stuck in the Apple machinery for really quite some time...
There are alternatives to using the Appstore to distribute and install it... A free and popular route (used by numerous large companies) to test / distribute their apps is:
Can you consider using this even for a limited test :)
It would be really nice to see the new App as the previous version simply does not work on iphone4 :(
many thanks! Basejump 14:37, 17 January 2012 (GMT)
- Should be any day now. Martin Hogbin 21:24, 18 January 2012 (GMT)
LIVING CONTROL SETUP HELP!
I currently have the following setup:-
LOUNGE:- bose t5 series amp with the following wired into it..
sky box xbox sonos ps3
CINEMA ROOM:- PROJECTOR SCREEN PROJECTOR JUICE BOX SENDING SKY SIGNAL BOSE T5 SERIES
I have now bought from the web a living control studio 6, 2 video pads and 2 rako lighting/living control pads.
Can the sky box be wired directly into the studio 6 and tucked away in the cupboard?
- Please can you put four tildes '~' at the end of your messages. This will automatically sign and date them.
- I have replied on the welcome page, and I have copied my reply below. You can respond on either page.
- You seem to have bought a collection of Living Control bits without first finding out what they all do.
- The core of the system should be the RoomBox 6, which provides speaker level audio to 6 rooms. You need to take the audio inputs to the RoomBox 6 inputs. All the pads are connected by CAT5 cable to the jacks on the RoomBox. The line-level outputs from your audio sources go to the audio inputs on the RoomBox. You then need to configure the RoomBox using the PC configuration software.
- The Studio 6 is a video server which will play two HD video outputs and four audio outputs simultaneously. Wire the video outputs to the two rooms where you want video. Component video down coax is probably the easiest way to do this.
- I hope this gets you started. Please ask more questions if you need on this wiki, either on this page or on the discussion tab of any of the other pages. Martin Hogbin 10:17, 30 January 2012 (GMT)
IR Control of Roombox NT - problems solved
Martin. Just thought I'd update you on my IR issues, which are now resolved. My experience may be of use to other contributors. I was having problems with seemingly erratic / non-functioning IR control via a videopad and a displaypad. Having read an earlier post on this Wiki, I realised that one of the issues may have been that one further zone was controlled using a displaypad connected directly to the Roombox via a patch lead (a temporary solution due to access difficulties for the permanent wiring). Doing some testing, it became apparent that the IR did not work at all when this extra zone was playing music. I then disconnected the patch lead (leaving that zone only accessible via PC interface) and the IR was fine on the videopad and intermittent on the displaypad. Further investigation revealed that the IR worked fine on the displaypad as well, but only if I pointed the remote away from the receiver! This zone is physically very close to the Roombox (4m max cable length) so, although it is connected by a regular cat5e cable rather than a patch lead, I wonder whether its proximity to the Roombox means that a direct IR hit is overloading the system in some way. Anyway, once I discovered the above two points, both locations (and others) are now working fine with IR. Techno 16:12, 31 January 2012 (GMT)
- Thanks for that. Are you talking about IR control of the MusicBox or of the RoomBox (volume etc)? Martin Hogbin 17:52, 31 January 2012 (GMT)
You guessed right - I'm really talking about control of the musicbox (via the roombox) Haven't yet sorted out IR feedback to test the volume control on the AV amp. This post relates to earlier issues where general system IR control appeared erratic. I'm still slightly baffled by the odd behaviour with one displaypad. Have you seen this before? Techno 22:18, 31 January 2012 (GMT)
- Yes, there is usually a problem if the IR remote can reach the pad and the product being controlled directly. This is caused by two signals reaching the source with one delayed a little.
- What is the problem you are having with a DisplayPad? Martin Hogbin 23:36, 31 January 2012 (GMT)
Martin. The problem with the displaypad was that the IR control only worked with the remote pointing away from the sensor (ie a lower power, reflected signal) - just seems slightly odd, although this is not really an issue now that I have found out that it works in that fashion. I just have to remember not to point the remote directly at the DP. I suspect this is to do with too strong a signal, with the proximity of the displaypad to the kit in the AV cupboard. The indirect IR signal will be that bit weaker and works fine.Techno 15:51, 1 February 2012 (GMT)
iPhone / iPad App...
Hi Martin, Any news on what has happened to this App? It seems to have been caught in the Apple machinery for an astonishing time... - is there an ETA?? Can you consider releasing it on Android or new versions for Win/Mac in the meantime??
Many thanks, Basejump 22:54, 1 March 2012 (GMT)
- Apple rejected it on a technicality, which we have fixed, then they asked for a video of it working. We are waiting for release. The current PC/Mac interfaces should be OK. Martin Hogbin 23:36, 1 March 2012 (GMT)
Many thanks for the update! Looking forward to seeing it on the AppStore soon :) Basejump 18:22, 3 March 2012 (GMT)
I have downloaded the new Living Control iPad app for £40 today onto a new iPad 3. On start up the App locates my Living Control networked box (MusicBox - 3.46 (192.168.0.7)) and then says it is connecting to it. However, the blue completion bar on the App then hangs at "Recaching" and never goes further. I have tried deleting and reloading the App several times and nothing changes except that it now says "Reconnecting" below the blue bar as well as "Recaching" above it and then connects so that there is just the Recaching message and a hanging blue bar. I can connect to the same server using PC Client Control v1.51 so there is nothing wrong with the Wi Fi or the MusicBox. Is this App supposed to be able to connect to this MusicBox? [Churchy]
- Yes this app should connect with the MusicBox. What OS are you using? Martin Hogbin 21:27, 30 March 2012 (BST)
Martin, I am using the latest iPad OS designated 5.1 (9B176). Richard
- Are you able to try the app on an iPhone? Martin Hogbin 09:16, 5 April 2012 (BST)
Martin - I have an iPhone to try it with but I believe this is a different App so will need to pay for a further download! Will have a look at home tonight.
- Don't pay again. Hang on and I will send you a code for a free download.
Martin - there appears to beno charge forte iPhone but I need to update the OS first and other things to do. Wil get back to you. R
Martin - ok I've now upgraded the iPhone to OS 5.1 and loaded the App. It behaves in exactly the same way as the iPad - finds the MusicBox, attempts to connect to it and then hangs........
Experiencing the same behaviour from the ipone /iPad app as is described above. As this is clearly not an isolated problem, can you please advise timescale for a fix. Techno 19:22, 5 June 2012 (BST)
- We are hoping to release an update in a week or two. Martin Hogbin 16:02, 6 June 2012 (BST)
Room box 6 Display Pad Issue
I have display pads in the lounge, kitchen & master bedroom. All display pads except for the one in the lounge is not on (normally there is a blue neon light showing). Have tried re-booting the system but the display pad in the kitchen is not doing anything...still blank. Have tested the system works in the master bedroom & lounge where the display pads are on & all works fine! Could it be as simple as a change of a lithium battery for the display pad in the kitchen to be on? Please help!! Vmistry 11:59, 6 March 2012 (GMT)
Tuner control problem
I am having problems with a Living Control system installed at my building.
Basically everything is setup okay except I am unable to change the radio station using any of the infrared control panels. It allows me to skip through the programmed stations but when I change to Radio 4 from Radio 1 the panel will indicate it is on Radio 4 but I will still be listening to Radio 1. The only way to change the station is manually on the Denon AM/FM receiver.
Is there a quick solution to this problem that I can try and rectify myself?
4 more RBNT and CVX compatibility
I saw in one of the threads that the 4 more could not be used with a RB8NT and CVX. is this correct? Are there any ways around it? Cust2 11:23, 15 August 2012 (BST)
- The 4-More cannot be used with a RoomBox NT and a CVX only because the 4-More does not have an outgoing connection. It would be possible to make up a special lead that would allow a CVX to be used with this combination. I will add something to the 4-More page on this. Martin Hogbin 12:46, 15 August 2012 (BST)
Thanks Martin Cust2 14:05, 15 August 2012 (BST)
would you confirm connector type, do i need male or female 26 way? Thanks Cust2 14:24, 15 August 2012 (BST)
- You will need to make a soldered connection to the existing connector in the lead that connects the RoomBox to the 4-More. Martin Hogbin 14:36, 15 August 2012 (BST)
just so i am clear, the cvx is currently connected to the 8nt and works on zones 1-6 for video. i want to keep it this way and just add some more audio zones. do i still need to make up a cable? from memory the cvx is connected with a standard ribbon cable from a board fitted to the 8 nt. The expansion cable comes with the 4 more presumably? Cust2 15:12, 15 August 2012 (BST)
I am thinking that I would probably make a straight through male-female 26 pin adapter cable with breakout for the two connections required for the cvx? what do you think? Cust2 19:14, 15 August 2012 (BST)
- Yes, that is what you will need to do, except that I think it is a female-female lead that you will need - check the connectors on the units. Martin Hogbin 23:18, 15 August 2012 (BST)
I'm struggling to find suitable parts to make cable. could you sell me a 4 more connecting cable and a cvx-s connecting cable and i will make them myself. I would just rather retain the originals for testing purposes should i encounter any problems.
Many Thanks Mark Cust2 11:04, 16 August 2012 (BST)
- I will check our stores to see if we have any spare ones. Martin Hogbin 15:19, 16 August 2012 (BST)
Finally on site doing this.
I have taken apart supplied CVX-S lead and pin 9(cvx) is connected to pin 22 on the NT connector. please clarify! you state pin 23 on the 4 more page to pin 9
thanks C Cust2 18:00, 15 September 2012 (BST)
- Well done and thank you. Some of our schematics have the NT connector pins numbered wrongly. The right pin is 22 as you say. I will amend the wiki. Martin Hogbin 14:39, 17 September 2012 (BST)
I now have strange phenomena with using more 4 with RB8NT. The IR control of the system seems to have stopped working. I had a number of third party IR learning remote controls that used to turn on specific zones and sources but since fitting the 4 more the function has stopped working. any ideas? IR pass through to global emitters still works fine as i can control sky boxes etc.. Cust2 14:15, 19 October 2012 (BST)
- Have you tried disconnecting the 4-More to see of the problem goes away when you do this? Martin Hogbin 00:13, 24 October 2012 (BST)
yes tried disconnecting and problem is still there. basically i cannot turn zones on via IR on the keypads. yes before you say, i have double checked IR is enabled on keypads.
also when i power the RBNT on, I get no 8 zones or 4 more messages or IR controller messages. display just reads Roombox NT V 3.07 (sometimes V2 3.07) Date Time
keypad version is 3.1.39
any ideas?? Cust2 15:55, 15 December 2012 (GMT)
- Looks like there is something wrong with the RoomBox. It may need to come back to us for repair. Martin Hogbin 16:37, 16 December 2012 (GMT)
Roombox 6 config software
I still cannot get this to run correctly. whenever I try to edit zones, program crashes. this happens whether connected to roombox or not and on 3 laptops i have tried, 2 running xp, 1 W7 any ideas????? Cust2 20:06, 15 August 2012 (BST)
- I have just downloaded the file from here and installed it in this computer and edited sources and zones. Is this the version that you used? Martin Hogbin 23:33, 15 August 2012 (BST)
I sent you an email this morning with details of error codes, but please ignore. I have found the route of the problem.
I lost a hard drive on my laptop last year and had since only done RB6 jobs and haven't actually used the edit zone functions anyway (so didn't realize the problem existed) Therefore did not have RBNT config installed on my laptop, just RB6
On a hunch this morning, installed RBNT and instantly RB6 worked perfectly, so there must be a file RB6 needs that doesn't download, but is contained within RBNT download. tried on my wife's laptop that just had RB6 that didn't work and sorted that as well!
I appreciate most people would have both installed anyway but there must be something missing in the RB6 download so might be worth you looking at.
Anyway, much relief now as all working!!
ps did you get my email re the iphone app?
Thanks Cust2 08:28, 16 August 2012 (BST)
- That is odd because the RoomBox 6 software was out long before the RoomBox NT. Martin Hogbin 15:18, 16 August 2012 (BST)
Hi martin just had new laptop and can confirm RB6 config software will not run on its own without installing RB8 config software.
Thanks for that information. I will add it to the wiki. Martin Hogbin 16:38, 16 December 2012 (GMT)
ps. what is happening with the iphone app??
- Sean is working (slowly) on some of the bugs. Martin Hogbin 16:38, 16 December 2012 (GMT)
Cust2 15:57, 15 December 2012 (GMT)
using 2 room box 6s
Hi i have two room box 6s and want to know how to link them together to create 12 zones? i also have a studio 6 as part off the system Cust1 04:43, 2 December 2012 (GMT)
- I have added some help on doing this to the wiki here. You can ask for more help on the associated talk page. Martin Hogbin 11:48, 2 December 2012 (GMT)
Cannot find instructions for PC app
Hi I cannot find out how to use the PC app. Martin Hogbin 11:11, 9 January 2013 (GMT)
Windows Application works well on Microsoft Surface PRO tablet computer
For anyone who is interested, an alternative tablet control (ie alternative to the iphone / ipad) is to use one of the new Windows 8 (full version) tablets with the standard Living Control MusicBox Control application. This works fine in Windows 8 and I have now tested it on a new Microsoft Surface Pro tablet (~£799), giving me tablet control from all over the house, including being able to join rooms to a playing 'Style' selection without re-shuffling. Note that I have not tested this (nor do I think it would work) with the cheaper Microsoft Surface running Windows RT operating system. Techno 15:20, 27 June 2013 (BST)
Music Box 3 NT sound cuts out
I have configured a MB3 to provide 2 sources to a RoomBox NT using the latest RoomBox NT config software. The s/w indicates that it expects a MusicBox 5 (there's no option for a MB3)
I can select music from the MB without problems, browsing the artists/tracks etc and whatever is selected will start to play, but after 7 seconds the sound cuts out, although the display on the MB shows the track as continuing - is this a known behaviour - could it be due to expecting a MB5?
Playing music streamed from an airport express the Roombox works fine.
Basejump 18:11, 21 October 2013 (BST)
- Basejump, this is not a known problem and it has nothing to do with the MB3/5 issue. Has it always been like this or did it start recently? Martin Hogbin 18:54, 22 October 2013 (BST)
Alas the units are new to me - so after a quick config to sort sources / zones I have tried to play some audio - freshly imported. On either output it starts fine and stops after about 7 seconds - never longer. The other symptom of unhappiness is when shutting down - all 3 stages are reported as fine - but then the display goes to strange shapes and the unit does not power down and has to be switched off manually. Basejump 09:17, 23 October 2013 (BST)
- I think your only option is to send the MusicBox to us for repair. See Fixed_price_repairs. Martin Hogbin 16:29, 24 October 2013 (BST)
Displaypad NT - can it act as a IR emitter?
Can the Displaypad NT / Waterpad NT act as IR emitters?
For instance, can the Roombox be used to fire IR command from a wall plate / Displaypad to close curtains (assuming the curtains have an IR receiver)? It would be good to be able to set up a macro involving issuing IR commands via wall plates when necessary, for instance if you are controlling from the iPhone App where no IR output is available. Thanks, Basejump Basejump 17:11, 5 November 2013 (GMT)
- Unfortunately the DisplayPad NT and WaterPad NT do not have IR outputs. Martin Hogbin 21:00, 5 November 2013 (GMT)
Dial Up still supported?
Hi, my customer has a older Music box 3 (probably 8 or 9 year old now) that works fine apart from title lookup. It's connected via a dial up Usb modem rather than an Ethernet connection. Is this still supported? Not the end of the world if not, I'll get him some Ethernet over mains adaptors but was just curious! Cheers Mark
Markyboy81 11:20, 19 December 2013 (GMT)
Never mind, realised BT have turned off dial up ....!
- Dial-up is still supported. There may be some ISPs who still provide this service. You can change the dial-up number from the front panel. Martin Hogbin 16:37, 21 December 2013 (GMT)
Config lost after power cut
This happens to us quite regularly - at least every couple of months we have a power cut -sometimes only for about 30 secs, but this is enough to upset the room box 6 which then shows "error message 001 contact dealer for advice " , all the room pads have lost the source info -this is replaced by weird symbols. I then have to use a cable from the pc to the back of the room box to re configure the room box settings. I am getting very fed up with doing this and I am contemplating ripping the whole system out as it SO unreliable. There must be an easier way, am very interested to hear your comments as this moment in time I would not recommend this system to anybody,it's expensive, cumbersome and increasingly out of date
cannot change Music box settings to allow access to Freedb
I am trying to update my cd titles using the Freedb, the music box is connected to the internet but I cannot change the old lookup settings which used to connect by a modem. I have changed the setting to musicdblivingcontrol as per your instructions but the box will not save the new settings. I have tried several times and it reverts every time to the old setting after I hold to save at the end. any help fromanyone out there appreciatedSadhippo (talk) 03:59, 10 February 2018 (MST)